Females Bodybuilder Photos Gallery

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Sara Picken - Brown Interview



Where and when were you born?

BORN Johannesburg South Africa, 1977

What is your profession?

Personal Trainer

What do you do for fun that does not relate to the sport, do you have any hobbies?

I get very little time to indulge my hobbies ( I love swinging a golf club when I can) so spend time with family and friends, my 2 doggies and my wonderful partner is very precious

How and when did you get involved in weight training?

I was introduced to the gym by an ex-boyfriend as way to keep active when I stopped dancing, I was a ballerina. That was nearly 12 years ago, I began seriously training 10 years ago and competing 6 years ago. In that time I became a qualified trainer and won my first show as a figure competitor.



*Images By Gary Phillips and Rob C of Ampt Imaging

How often do you train and could you give a brief overview of your weekly workout?

I change my training program every 4 weeks, training 6 days per week. Leading into a show this increases to twice a day every day. I train functionally with weights and kettlebells as well as the traditional bodybuilding weight training. I like to keep sessions to between 45min and an hour.

An average week looks like:

Cardio everyday with a weights session focusing on a body part each day-

Mon-Shoulders
Tuesday – Hammis, Back
Wed-Quads, Abs
Thursday - Arms
Fri-Heavy Legs session(squat, lunges)
Sat-Chest
Sun REST

How critical is a good diet in this sport and why?

I believe that diet is the critical determining factor to your success in this sport, training is important but if your diet is incorrect you won’t be able to recover, burn fat, grow in the manner necessary to achieve the body you desire. It would be like building a house on a quick sand foundation, no matter how much you put on top of the foundation it will eventually fall over if the foundation base is not strong.

What is your favorite workout and why?

Legs because you are in a battle against your body, it hurts and when you have worked hard it hurts for days after, but the results are just awesome.
Do you train harder for competition preparation versus training in the offseason?
No I train 200% of my ability all year round, the training you do ‘off season’ is the foundation for your next show, so there is no time to slack off.
Did you want to compete from the day you started or did you gradually come in to it?
Not at all, I didn’t even know about competing but a few collegues chatted about the possibility and after going to a show I thought, ‘I can do that, I will give it a try what have I got to lose?’

When and what was your first competition and how did you do?

2005 All Female Classic in Australia and I won my novice category then took the overall, I was gob-smacked to say the least and hooked.

How often do you compete now?

I am averaging 3-5 shows a year currently and have done for the past 2 years now, it’s a lifestyle and I love it.



Could you list the competitions you have competed in and your placement?

2009 IFBB Australian National Championships-Figure Class-1st Place
2009 IFBB Victorian Titles - Figure Class-1st place
2009 IFBB NZ Elite Championships-Figure Class-4th place
2009 IFBB Australasian Titles-Figure Class-1st place
2009 IFBB Elite Championships-Figure Short Class-1st place
2008 IFBB Victorian Titles-Figure Open- 1st Place
2008 IFBB Australian Titles-Figure Class 2-2nd Place
2008 ANB Victorian Titles-Figure Open-2nd/Best Routine
2008 ANB Australian Titles-Figure Class - 2nd Place
2008-INBA Victorian Titles-Figure Open-4th/Best Routine
2007-INBA Victorian Titles- Figure Open-1st Runner up/Best Routine
2006-INBA Australian Titles- Figure Open-2nd Place
2005-INBA All Female Classic-Novice 1st Place & Best Routine
2005- INBA All Female Classic- Figure Overall - 1st place
2005- INBA Australian titles- Figure Overall – 2nd Place
2005-INBA Australian Titles- Figure Class Open- 1st place

In your opinion what is your best body part?

Legs and shoulders

Is women’s bodybuilding as respected as men’s bodybuilding or is it criticized more?

I think as more women get involved in the sport more friends, family and partners are exposed to the joys and hardships of the sport. So yes, I think respect and understanding are increasing, less people see women with muscles as a ‘freak’ thing.



Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

Inspiring more women to be the best they can be, competing internationally regularly and running my seminars and fitness camps globally.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...